Tuesday, April 7, 2015

F is for...

Feet


The covering thereof

I have never been a fan of feet (except for on wee bairns), nor socks (I outright refused to touch them as a child when my mother was teaching me how to fold laundry), so the fact that I was compelled when a new knitter to try knitting socks for the sheer experience of it is something of a tribute to their fascination.


Two things in particular - modern knitters complaining that they were difficult, and historical knitters making them all the time. If there's anything I like, it's a challenge and making something authentic from scratch.

Of course, authentic was stretched a bit for my first few pairs, not having any access to sockweight yarn, but the My Basic Sock pattern taught me the rudiments of sock construction, and worsted weight yarn, even with minimal wool content makes a quite warm sock for the days when you have to be out shoveling snow. Most importantly, I learned that making socks isn't hard at all if you have clear directions. I made my second pair in just over a week.


I had a deadline, I wanted to make St. Patrick's Day socks for my brother, being undeterred by his size 12 feet. Thuja is another good, clear pattern for a beginner. I finished the second sock in two days. Second sock syndrome didn't hit until the odyssey of the never ending kilt hose.



Ten years later, still no farther than this.

Then there were mini socks.

 



Swap fodder, mainly. Swaps are also good motivation to finish actual pairs of socks.




Lace socks go quickly.

Slippers are a fun change of pace.


And always, go big or go home:




5 comments:

  1. Love the pinky orange pair!

    Had to come to your blog as I was randomly browsing through the lists this morning as you have 2 of my favourite things in the title... I wasn't expecting socks :)

    Mars
    Curling Stones for Lego People

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned knit and purl. The end. All I could do was a continuous stretch of the same ol' same. I wish I had paid more attention and learned to read the directions.
    ~Visiting from AtoZ

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is a lot of feet and socks... Welcome in the letter "F"... thank you!
    Jeremy [Retro]
    AtoZ Challenge Co-Host [2015]

    There's no earthly way of knowing.
    Which direction we are going!

    HOLLYWOOD NUTS!
    Come Visit: You know you want to know if me or Hollywood... is Nuts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's quite an assortment of foot coverings. I really liked the long gray ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really interesting. Learned a lot about socks.
    Shawn from Laughing at Life 2

    ReplyDelete