Wednesday, April 1, 2015

A is for . . .

Angora

Angora is the deliciously soft fiber spun from bunny fur. It is also the breed of goat from whence cometh cashmere, but I am thinking of bunny fluff today. I've only had one experience working with angora thus far, in a blend called Forest Dew by Lotus yarns. I made mittens.

Bunny-sized mittens.

I made this little bookmark for a Peter Rabbit-themed swap; in one of the stories Mrs. Rabbit is mentioned as bringing in a little money by selling rabbit-wool mittens and muffatees, and while she's hardly an Angora rabbit herself, I immediately thought of angora to keep with the theme.

Mrs Rabbit

Angora Rabbit
 Interestingly enough, cashmere comes from Angora goats (originally from the Kashmir).

Slight resemblance, neh?

Apparently angora had quite a heyday back in the day as the fiber of choice for 'sweater girls,'  Despite my husband's interest, I'm not particularly eager to start knitting myself negative-ease sweaters that shed, no matter how soft the fiber.  However, I have more than enough of Forest Dew left over to make a cowl, so I've earmarked it in my queue for the Yarn Harlot's Pretty Thing.  I like pretty things.

As for the other Angora (cashmere), I haven't had a chance yet to experience it, but I hear it's luscious.  The Knitmore Girls are always talking up cashmere.

Some patterns I love that start with A:

Afternoon Break, a fichu (free!)
All the Shades of Truth, a rectangular shawl
Amigurumi Adipose, for Doctor Who fans (free!)
An Aran for Anne, a sweater for fans of Jane Austen's Persuasion
Arkema, beaded and cabled gloves (free!)

2 comments:

  1. I love those tiny little mittens! How cute!

    Good luck with the 2015 A to Z Challenge!
    A to Z Co-Host S. L. Hennessy
    http://pensuasion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who raises goats and bunnies for just such a purpose....she spins and knits like I breath .... It comes to her so naturally... I just adore those goats though...they are so funny and good natured... this was a fun post! Thanks! I like seeing new blogs (new to me) with a to z!

    ReplyDelete