Wednesday, April 8, 2015

G is for...

Guilty Pleasure

A guilty pleasure is something you enjoy in spite of itself. You know it's not good for you, or cool, or high quality, but you keep coming back to it. Be it funnel cake, Lady Gaga, or "Twilight," it does nothing beneficial for you except make you smile.

Conversely, it might be something you really can't afford, but you treat yourself to now and then, but I'm really thinking of the embarrassing little secret loves right now.

Netflix is an enabler. I have two big guilty pleasures on Netflix right now, "Murder She Wrote," and "Reign." The latter in particular is like Pixie Stix for me; no nutritional value whatsoever, but strangely addictive. It's eye candy, it's historically inaccurate, it's engrossing, it's a teen soap opera, it's insane, and I just love it.


Reign likes to pretend that it's about Mary, Queen of Scots.


It's really about WB teen drama . . . In the PAST!!!



I can only knit garter stitch when I am watching it, because I can't tear my eyes from the screen for the majority of any episode. The costumes range from Renaissance adjacent to questionable prom dresses to whaaat???? but they're almost always pretty, and I like pretty.



I appreciate that the language, though not appropriately Shakespearean, is at least formal and not Buffy-speak.

I feel like my taste should be better than this, but that's the guilty part, after all. The most delightful aspect of this show? Evil Anne of Green Gables...


3 comments:

  1. I watched the first ep of Reign and never went back to watch the rest. My guilty pleasure is Outlander. Very good and beautiful men :)

    I hope you have a wonderful time during the rest of A to Z!
    Sylvia van Bruggen @ Playful Creative

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hats rule.

    Brand new follower here, dropping by from A to Z.

    Nice to meet you, Michelle!

    2015 A to Z Challenge Co-Host
    Matthew MacNish from The QQQE

    ReplyDelete
  3. The closest equivalent I've had to this show was NBC's Dracula. It was schlocky, had a few clumsily handled messages about homophobia and sexism, and got cancelled after one season, but I thought it was entertaining.

    My post for G was guilty pleasures.
    http://godentertainmentandannoyingthings.blogspot.com/2015/04/guilty-pleasures.html

    ReplyDelete