Monday, April 13, 2015

K is for . . .

Keeping up with the Cardassians



It's no big secret that I am a huge geek. It's right there in the title of the blog, for one thing, though I think a lot of people miss that it's a Disney reference.

We played the Throne Room and Finale theme from A New Hope as the recessional at our wedding. I can't imagine what his side of the family thought, but my family may have applauded. It was my one quirky moment in an otherwise very simple, classic wedding. My mom told me later that she was about to break down, and then, "The Star Wars music started, I started laughing and I knew you were going to be okay."

As young as I was when my parents rented Star Wars for my brother and I for the first time (probably six or seven, and they billed it as a movie with cute robots), I have even earlier memories of my dad watching Star Trek, and it's definitely had an impact on my hobbies.

I've always liked Kirk's green shirt best
And since Netflix has all of the series available for streaming, my kids are going to have early memories of me watching it, as well.

Right now I am keeping up with the Cardassians, as I'm working my way through Deep Space Nine (the one with the black Captain, as my non-Trekkie husband knows it). The series starts with Commander Benjamin Sisko being given command of a space station recently abandoned by the Cardassians, who had been occupying the planet Bajor and enslaving its people. The Bajorans, a deeply religious people, managed to overthrow their oppressors and reached out to the Federation to help protect them from a possible return. The Federation has been at war with the Cardassians, and has only recently come to an uneasy truce. Sisko is tasked with keeping the peace, furthering negotiations to bring Bajor into the Federation, and playing gatekeeper to the nearby wormhole to the Gamma Quadrant, which has opened a passage to an area of space that otherwise would have taken seventy years to reach. Matters are complicated by the fact that the Bajorans believe that the wormhole is the Celestial Temple where their deities, the Prophets, reside, and that Sisko is the long awaited Emissary. He isn't the Bajorans first choice for the role, and he isn't pleased about it himself, but the beings who built and live in the wormhole, divine or otherwise, exist outside of time and have chosen Sisko, like it or not, because they've seen that he will affect the fate of Bajor and pretty much half of the galaxy by extension.

The series has its ups and downs and takes a little while to really get into its stride, but once it does it turns into a really fascinating study of politics, race, religion, destiny, and morality. The characters, good and evil, all develop and grow, and overall I think it's one of the most interesting and well-plotted Star Trek series, and it really explores a side of the Star Trek universe that you don't get to see in the other series, a darker and more complex side.

So when that other show came out I latched onto the obvious pun and nothing else.

Basically

Patterns I love that start with K:
Kathy Kelly Cabled Capelet (free!)
Kensington Mitts
Knotty but Nice hat - Men's cabled beanie (free!)
Kicking Horse Mittens
Knucks - embroidered fingerless mitts (free!)

1 comment:

  1. That is great!! Cardassians are always better than Kardashians! Even Gul Madred.

    ReplyDelete